Thursday, July 17, 2014

Telling the Fam

Well on both sides of our families we are the only ones married, so both sets of parents were going to be first time grandparents.  In Derek's family, he is the first grandchild among many younger cousins.  So we knew this would be exciting news for both sides of the family.  We were excited to tell them but wanted a creative way to do it.  Because it was a Sunday and we were short on time and resources, we decided to go with the whole 'bun in the oven' idea.  We printed a picture of a delicious looking bread roll bun and placed it on a little easel.  We first drove to my parents house and quietly (while they were still asleep) placed it in the oven.  I ran to my parents door and exclaimed that they should come to the kitchen quickly because they left their oven on all night.  They were not happy to say the least.  My mom came out looking like a confused sleeping zombie.  She opened the oven door, looked inside and an even more confused and puzzled expression took over her face.  As she grasped the bun in the oven concept, her eyes grew wide and she shouted rather loudly "Todd is pregnant?!" (For those of you who don't know, my fathers name is Todd)  Um...what?  She was still waking up so she was a little tongue tied and by the time my dad came out they were both really excited and laughing at their reactions because apparently neither of them got a very relaxing sleep the night before.  I woke my two brothers to tell them they will be uncles and they both couldn't believe it.  Neither of our families knew we were even trying to have a baby so their reactions were pretty much all the same...shock...excitement.  We waited until Mothers Day to tell my brother, Christopher (we are super close so his reaction was a bit more animated...) who is on a mission in Nebraska because we knew we could Skype him and see his face.  It was priceless because the one thing he made me promise when he left is that I would at least wait 9 months before he got home.  We called him Uncle Chris to break the news...below is a video of my family being very loud when we tell him!
That same day, Derek was with his family telling his brother, Daniel who is serving in San Diego.  He was so excited and can't wait to be an uncle.  
Okay, so back to the story.
After telling my family that Sunday morning, we raced over to Derek's parents' house to give them the news.  We waited until everyone was in their rooms getting ready for church and placed the bun in the oven.  When Whitney, Derek's mom came out of the room she was suspicious because we told her we baked them breakfast and it's waiting for them in the oven.  This was particularly funny because Derek's parents were doing a special diet at the time.  When Whitney checked the oven she instantly turned around, started walking towards us with a combined mixture of tears and "are you serious?!"  She hugged us both and instantly downloaded an app on how my baby was developing week by week!  Excited Grandma!  Derek's sisters reactions were pretty hilarious.  Katie, "I don't get it...wait...i'm going to be an aunt?! I'll babysit anytime."  Amy, "I'm really disappointed, I thought you guys made me breakfast." But Derek's dad, Ryan, was the best.  Because they were on this diet, once he looked in the oven he just started chuckling.  We thought this was his reaction to becoming a grandpa but when he didn't congratulate us, Whitney realized he didn't quite understand.  He thought we were poking fun at their diet and when he finally realized the news, he had the most shocked face of all! 
We are so grateful to have all this love and support from our families.  Every since they found out, they have both been unbelievably supportive and helpful through my pregnancy (ya know, making sure I eat first and the most and letting me crash on their couch when napping was taking over my body in the first trimester).  We love our family!!


No comments:

Post a Comment